I always use good antivirus program and maintain my laptop very well. I never got any virus in laptop at all. But once my friend needed some movies and games so I gave him my USB. After two days, he gave it back to me. I inserted my USB in my laptop. And guess what I found??? I found so many shortcuts in my USB and I can't able to access any of data which I gave to my friend. I tried to scan it from different different antivirus programs and also used Windows Defender but that wasn't enough to remove that shortcut virus. Then I searched a lot on internet and then find a solution to remove it and that's what I am sharing with you today.
There are many viruses available but now a days these shortcut viruses are really embarrassing for all the users. Because these viruses are hardly detected by any antivirus. So it was become headache to remove them permanently. Follow this tutorial and it will definitely help you to get rid off these shortcut viruses.
Steps to remove Shortcut Virus From USB/Hard Disk Using CMD
- First of all insert the USB or Hard Disk that is affected by shortcut viruses.
- Now open Command Prompt (CMD) with Administrator Privileges. If you don't know how to run CMD with Administrator Privileges? Click Here to Know How To Run CMD as Administrator.
- Then type the following command
attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
Here g: is the drive letter. You've to replace it with your USB or Hard Disk drive letter.
Make sure you have not made any spell mistake and take care about spaces in between letters.
- After typing this command, press enter.
- This command will make folders from that shortcuts and make your data available in root director of USB.
- Now copy all your data from USB to your computer or somewhere else. Now format your USB and then you'll see there are no more shortcuts available. Copy your data back to USB.
Some Examples For The Direct Use
- For D Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d d:*.*
- For E Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:*.*
- For F Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:*.*
- For G Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
- For H Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d h:*.*
- For I Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d i:*.*
- For J Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d j:*.*
- For K Drive : attrib -h -r -s /s /d k:*.*
So by using this command you can remove Shortcut Virus permanently. But if you insert your USB on a computer which is virus infected, your USB can also be affected by it and it may possible you can find the shortcut viruses again in your USB. But this is the trick by which you can remove Shortcut Virus easily.
If you're still getting any problems, post your problems in comment box.